Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The First Post

WHYOWHY... didn't I do this when I first got to Europe? Good question, no answer. And now the first 2 weeks of my trip will have to be retro-blogging, which means they will be non-existent-blogging. Shucks. I'll try to work in what I remember as we go (mostly for my own mentally storage)

Anyways, I guess let's just start off with today, how about starting now?

July 30, 3:19am: Gulp. I'm leaving to go to Gare du Nord to go to Germany in 2 hours. Yikes.

To keep from packing/getting ready, I'll keep writing and watch the end of Apocalypse Now Redux. Here was the rest of my day today... pretty uneventful.

Finally made it out of the door at 230 and headed to pick up a bike. (NOTE: if you don't know, Paris' Velib bike system is sick. You pay 1 euro a day (as long as you keep your trips under 30 minutes) and you ride from station to station in the city as you please. Most places aren't far apart at all, so it's easy and more fun then the Metro. The only bummer is some stations are either filled with only tireless/chainless/seatless bikes or some have infinite bikes so you can't park. Even still, the biking/walking combo has gotten me around Paris. I love it).

Anyways, got to the station and waited in line for 30 minutes to semi-irrationally buy a ticket to Hannover and then to Gottingen (where I might stay for little more than a few hours...stay tuned). Endured a little French African 2 year old girl yelling "Ma-maa" at least 40 times and an annoying and pushy American mom-daughter team who kept complaining about how there should've been more windows at the ticket office open. God. I need to learn French asap so I can talk to Parisians about how I'm sick of Americans.

Paid for my ticket and got out of the station. Headed to a bike station... but encountered only 3 bikes, all of which had flat tires. Moved to the next. Same thing. Decided to just use one anyways. Biked back towards Chatelet en route to Museum d'Orsay. Hit a curb. Almost careened into traffic. Stupid flat tire. Steadied myself. Proceeded (with caution).

Hit up d'Orsay for 2 hours (I thought I'd want more time, but I can only look at art for so long, so wasn't that bummed about closing)... Van Gogh is definitely the highest light, dude was a savage. Crazy colors, brush strokes...his stuff was definitely the most distinct. Between that and a sick polar bear sculpture, I got my fill. More on that later, too.

Biked back to Jerome's (more on his place later). Met up with him and Barbara and headed to "Breakfast in Paris," a solid burger-joint pretty close to the Notre Dame. Waited for an hour to eat, but it was fun talking about "Howie Do That" (the french version that Jerome is dubbing) and the french version of The Simpsons.

Finished the night with "Very Bad Trip" aka The Hangover. Still funny the 2nd time, of course. The French audience definitely didn't laugh at the "Thanks, Bin Laden"/Rain Man/"Re-tard" sequence (I was without a doubt the only person laughing). Not a surprise.

Anyways, I'm listening to Dennis Hopper now and should go. "He's got something in mind for you...aren't you curious? I'm very curious...are you curious?" So good. Dialetics.

Alright, that's it. Got 45 minutes left in this movie, 10 to shower, an hour to pack and then I'm out. Keep ya posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment